12.5.09

Jordan Cronenweth: On Back-lighting & Hardlight

From American Cinematographer, Cinematography for Blade Runner by Herb A. Lightman and Richard Patterson (July 1982)

"I can never use enough backlighting. It's just that some directors want to see the actors' faces. I keep telling them that the audience only goes to see the sex."

The cinematographer is as interested in creating mood or an effect as he is in lighting an actor's face. He tends to use soft frontlight with a hard backlight, although, he adds:

"I love hard light in the face if it is overexposed. I think that's beautiful. It's different; it's unusual. It's exciting; it's violent."

- Jordan Cronenweth, ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to relevant, professional feedback, opinions and critical critique.

go raibh maith agat!

-Ryan