24.5.09

Ellen Kuras: Low Contrast Filtration

From American Cinematographer, 4 Little Girls by Eric Rudolph (January 1998)

"I used low-contrast filters on the interviews, but I was wary about doing more than that because of the blow-up. I didn't want to use a Tiffen ProMist, because that would have taken away from the apparent sharpness. I kept it simple, staying with color correction and Tiffen's Ultra Contrast filter series. In general, I tend to use low-contrast filters because I like to make the image smoother and take away the edginess that Kodak film has. The look of their stocks is bright and very crispy, almost too sharp, and I try to smooth it out. I ended up using half Ultra Contrast through a Number 1, sometimes a Number 2, on exteriors."

- Ellen Kuras, ASC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to relevant, professional feedback, opinions and critical critique.

go raibh maith agat!

-Ryan