12.5.09

Oliver Stapleton: Color Timing... Sound or MOS?

From American Cinematographer, Enchanted Forest by Chris Pizzello (May 1999)

"The balance between the dialogue and visuals is very crucial, especially in Shakespeare, so you can afford to be more oblique visually if you've got a lot of talking going on. Because the audience is listening hard, you don't want the pictures to overwhelm the speech. That's why I will always grade a film with sound. Some cinematographers like to time a film silently, and I'm not sure why. When I've timed a movie with no sound, I've tended to make the scenes brighter. You're seeking information from the pictures, and you're bound to feel differently about a scene if there's no sound."

- Oliver Stapleton, BSC

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am always open to relevant, professional feedback, opinions and critical critique.

go raibh maith agat!

-Ryan